Thread: Target Renegade
View Single Post
Old 27 August 2021, 21:55   #25
x-vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havie View Post
Have decided to have a go at porting the much loved Target Renegade for the AmigaGameJam.

The reason I picked this game is that I had a go at porting it about 15 years ago (on the PC) with the help of Swainy, who had recoloured all of the ZX Spectrum graphics (best version)! I contacted the programmer, Mike Lamb, who gave me his blessing and even got a mention in Retrogamer magazine. Then life got in the way - a baby to be precise and I didn't have the time or energy! I had got most of the first level working with the exception of baddies attacking you so was well on the way.

14 years of regret later, here I am having another try! It's definitely a bit more complex than my previous games but I have learnt a lot about how to program the Amiga over the last few years so I feel up to the challenge and hope to include some of the extra effectsI had on the PC such as a bit of parallax and possiibly foreground piillars (Metro Siege nicked this one but I did ii first 15 years ago).

Current State of Affairs

I have all the graphics in full colour as coloured bu Swainy all those years ago. Unfortunately although not using thousands of colours, they are in png format so as far as PPaint is concerned, they are in thousands of colours (and of course) each separate sheet has it's own ppalette. After a bit of work, I have a 32 colour sprite sheet with all the graphics needed for level 1 (only about 27 colours are currently being used so there may be an opportunity to increase or reduce use of colour). Do need to look into this in as there are a lot of graphics so a wrong decision here could have dire consequences.

Have copied the player 1 walking sprites and have these working.

Also have a two copperlist screen so I can scroll the top part and keep the second for the HUD.

At this stage, the player can walk in 8 directions and the screen scrolls smoothly. Here is a screenshot from WinUae (I know it is stretched but looks right in 4:3).

Next step is to add all the player attacks. Watch this space...
Great election. Using the spectrum version is a logic choice, as it has the highest resolution and most acccurate moves from the arcade.

What? wait, is there an arcade version?

Not of Target Renegade, but from the prequel. I point in case it helps you for reference of the graphics, moves and/or behaviour.

[ Show youtube player ]

Keep working on it and good luck!

Page generated in 0.04431 seconds with 11 queries