View Single Post
Old 19 August 2021, 01:05   #72
manossg

Thanks for the paragraphs, mate, it makes the conversation much easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promilus View Post
Conversely Vampire cannot do many things PPC amiga or WinUAE can. Also - it's not that software emulated 68k can't do AMMX. Reason why nobody implements it to WinUAE and Musashi is becase no one wants to. There's just no immediate need to do that (and most likely won't be since there aren't many apps which absolutely will require it ... and WinUAE with JIT can do circles around super Vampire anyway)
Let's put it another way. There isn't anything NG I want to run that the Vampire cannot run. There are quite a few things that I want to run that UAE/PPC cannot but the Vampire can with ease. Also, I find that the Vampire, although not perfect, offers a smoother experience compared to UAE/Pi for a lot of NG things, even for games (for example, AB3D2 springs to mind, I sincerely could never get it to run as smooth as on the Vampire).

As for your claim that nobody implements AMMX because nobody wants it, I think you might be projecting your opinion to every amigan. Vampire is admittedly a commercial success, so somebody must find these features desirable.

Quote:
Vamp can't run PPC either. It wouldn't be even possible to squeeze small ppc softcore to run on cyclone V A5 concurrently with AC68080. And there's absolutely no option to attach external PPC to it. You're talking about cost - well PiStorm is a fraction of what Vampire costs. FPGA itself is roughly the cost of entire Raspberry Pi 4! PPC aren't produced anymore en masse, just few specialized solutions which costs a lot. X5000 anyone? Yeah - that's that. But that's the fastest "amiga" there is. Well, maybe fairly modern PC costing around V4SA is faster with 060 JIT.
You are doing the same thing, mate. You want to compare the Vamp to PPC or X5000 performance-wise, but you shift the goalpost to comparing it with the Pi when the price is mentioned. This is not ok. At least we agree that PPC and X5000 cost a lot.

Quote:
Well 68k is a dead end since mid 90s. Oh wait... Vampire is 68k compatible and that's it's selling point. Dead end technology Guess what, those NG dead ends can do more than ApolloOS. And does support more hw from different vendors as well. MOS handles PowerMacs which you can buy for 100-200$, sure second hand (or third ) but there's distinct possibility you could run Jedi Knight there and maybe watch some fullscreen video with decent speed.
So all Vampire represents is being performance king of 68k dead end and all vampire developers will achieve is to push that wall few bricks further then stop with no way to push forward and no way to turn back and try something else (and that's exactly why it is a trap).
Well, Amiga is generally a meaningless dead end, when you think about it like that, but at least now I understand the rationale behind your 'trap' argument. Needless to say, I fully disagree, since we are talking about a hobby computer here and not at a contender for, let's say, x86.

When I talk about being a dead end, I mean that there is no noteworthy forward momentum at present. Under this light, I hope we can agree that both AmigaOS and 68K are enjoying very delicious, active developments at the moment (eg with AOS 3.2, Warp&TF 060 and the Apollo 080). Also, quality games for 68K systems (and some exclusive Vamp titles) are very actively being developed and I find that 2021 is a great time to be an amigan!

I am not an expert on OS4 or MOS developments, but I feel that things are a bit stale there although I truly hope I am wrong.

You are right, though, about ApollOS, mate, it is still not very usable. But at least it enjoys active development and it continually improves, so, for me, it is not a dead end.

Page generated in 0.04283 seconds with 10 queries