View Single Post
Old 17 August 2021, 14:39   #9
stevelord

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
No doubt, vampire aims at higher-end, but not that high end.
I don't understand what you mean by "not that high end". The vampire is the fastest thing you can put in an Amiga to run 68k code, at least till Buffee comes out. The only thing it has in common with the PiStorm is that it too is good value for money (for people ok with it's constraints).

Quote:
I feel that most Vampire buyers want more speed, and so primary function is acceleration. At 9x PiStorm as you note, it's too tempting to save the money and just accept the performance PiStorm delivers.
If someone's happy dropping 450 Euro on a Vampire, 90% cost savings for lesser performance aren't going to matter. If someone's looking at dropping 50 Euro on a PiStorm then the Vampire will look very expensive in comparison and probably not provide sufficient bang for buck. Like the PiStorm, the Vampire is far more than just an accelerator. Speed is a factor but not the only one.

Quote:
I saw the A1000 video with it, and clearly you'd be nuts not to keep the A1000 alive with this little tidy upgrade. Complete no-brainer.
For some (me included) you'd be nuts to put a PiStorm in an A1000. The A1000 is a very specific system with very specific differences to most Amigas. Putting a PiStorm in turns that machine into a very expensive slightly worse A500 with extra bits.

Quote:
I stick to my view that 80% of the PiStorm circle overlaps the Vampire.
I don't know (nor care really) what that means but it's your view and your entitled to it. But unless you have anything to back that up it's an opinion, nothing more.

Quote:
And without doubt, 80% of the "accelerator" market is now covered by the PiStorm circle as well.
No, not without doubt at all. People buy accelerators for different systems for different reasons. Just because this seems like the best thing since sliced bread for you does not make it so for everyone else. I can put a PiStorm in my CDTV, but I lose bootable CD support and can't close the lid without major structural changes to the CDTV or PiStorm. I wouldn't put a PiStorm in my A4000 (should it become available), nor would I put a PiStorm in something that I planned to put an 060 in.

Quote:
I wonder how many purists like myself are out there who will not put either an FPGA or PiStorm into their machines? Very few I bet. And even I would have no reservations of putting the PiStorm into the A1000.
Having no reservations around putting a pistorm in an A1000 would preclude someone from being a purist. A PiStorm is fine for people who want good bang for buck and don't mind emulation (and other limitations). There are plenty of reasons a PiStorm isn't suitable for some people/systems.

Page generated in 0.04502 seconds with 10 queries