View Single Post
Old 31 July 2021, 22:11   #905
KK/Altair

Thank you all for all the kind comments.
As well as for those not so kind, too.

ROTFL

No, not that Altair. The demoscene group.
https://www.pouet.net/groups.php?which=703

Quote:
This is really great! Will the demo include the Dreadtool to play around with creating maps?
Not yet. The tool is a complete mess, driven by a text file, and generating C and asm files to be directly compiled into the Dread exe.
I already have a private Discord server, which I eventually will be opening up for interested creators to get the dirty versions of the toolset, but don't expect to be able to make a map and play it on Amiga already.

Quote:
Some feedback then, sky texture looks nice and (probably pretty easy to swap for different levels) i wonder if the high scroll speed is the best.
I don't think we need to dwell on the sky or scrolling speed (but I might be reducing that anyway). I'll definitely want to be able to change the sky texture and scrolling per-map, so ultimately it will be up to level designer's taste.

Quote:
Moon, space, etc?
We already have imagined a really cool setting for the game, so the two mentioned won't be our immediate choice (but aren't excluded either).

Quote:
Depends on the state of the tool when the Demo will be out. I'll let KK answer this one.
It's not a matter of the tool, but rather lack of proper map file format support, both in the tool and the engine. But we'll eventually get there.

Quote:
It looks impressive - I didn't really think this would be feasible with Amiga 500.

However...
Sorry I'm late to "the party". Vacation stuff (incl. lack of Internet connection).
Having said that:

1) Multiple heights are planned. Textured floors and ceilings are doable, but would slow the game to a crawl, so using solid colors is a sane choice. My idea is to convey the Doom's look and feel, gameplay and the fun factor, not clone the thing.

2) That's more a level design thing, because we would like to allow swapping palettes and textures per-level. Feel free to propose your own palette along with a set of textures, as all suggestions are welcome.

3) Doom engine is very rigid as far as moving vertexes goes. When Hexen came out, rotating doors and sliding walls were welcomed as a truly innovative feature.

4) Well... you certainly fail to get the spirit here. The point is to get further than anyone has been, given the set of restrictions. You aren't going to tell the team, that made the first K2 summit winter climb (on January 2021), that K2 was already reached in summer...

5) ... or are you?

6) I'm fully aware of it. That's why I decided to take the shortest path (e.g. omitting the floor height support for now, using FreeDoom conversions, or not promising a "boxed version" but rather an engine for community modding) and start making videos to get the motivational support. On the way, two amazing artists found and joined me, and we are definitively keeping the motivation going on our private Discord.

7) Have you seen the framerate on that ST wolf 3D?

TL;DR: I've seen a chance of making an undoubtedly best* FPS game for Amiga 500 ever. It would be a pity not to go for it.

(* counter-points welcome)

Quote:
Furthermore, KK always stated that it is a "-like/clone". This suffix is enough already to point out that it is not a 1:1 copy of the original.
Copying is not creative, hence not fun for me.
Also I'm using kind of language that Polish press used in 90's, where every FPS shooter of the area (until Q1) came out, was called a "Doom clone".

Quote:
Btw, from my knowledge KK never had a plan to make a complete game, but a demo and engine... but now, with very talented Tsak and Pixek Shade, I hope that will change, and we will get full game at some point.
But I'd personally love to have demo and creation tools ASAP, so I can try and play with level creation myself.
And I'm hoping for more people with such attitude (you included) coming to Discord at one point to create the game together.

Page generated in 0.04398 seconds with 11 queries