View Single Post
Old 23 July 2021, 15:10   #7
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
Actually, ISO C requires the rounding mode to be adjustable, right?
Correct. There is
fesetround()
since C99, but I'm refering to the default behaviour on startup which is defined in section F.7.3 Execution:
Code:
At program startup the floating point environment is initialized as prescribed by IEC 559:
(...)
 - The rounding direction mode is rounding to nearest.
Quote:
If the mathieeedoubbas.library is run on the FPU, and is opened correctly - that is, by the same task(!) that runs the calculations, it configures the FPU as of 3.1.4 and below in "round to zero", double precision. This is *not* a particularly good choice, but it is consistent with the choice the library makes if run on the CPU.
Ok. Thanks for clarification. That's what I was afraid of. So this is a constant source of problems when using the MathIEEE libraries for a C compiler's mlib. And probably also the reason why SAS/C didn't use them.

EDIT: BTW, does it mean that the rounding mode in FPCR for an FPU could be misconfigured by the MathIEEE library? At which point? When opening the library? As far as I remember FPCR is zero (round to nearest) when a program uses the FPU without MathIEEE libraries.

Quote:
Now, on 3.2, things changed (and this was a major task). Now, if the library is run on FPU, it implements "IEEE aware round to nearest", and the same(!) also goes for the CPU implementation.
A bit late but... very nice! Thanks for that.

Quote:
The mathieeedoubbas was verified with the "Paranoia test".
Indeed, the Paranoia test is part of our compiler testsuite and the MathIEEE libraries always behaved surprisingly good. Even better than John R. Hauser's Softfloat Library, IIRC.

Last edited by phx; 23 July 2021 at 15:15. Reason: FPCR

Page generated in 0.04452 seconds with 11 queries