View Single Post
Old 11 July 2021, 18:54   #82
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
(...) but I don't think there will be any big change like that again, like going from Sega Megadrive to Playstation. (...).

I always joke that the next huge step will be when we stop using our eyes to play games, i.e., when we will use a "DirectLink" to our brain and "live" our games instead of playing them on a screen. There will be things as smells, moist, vibrations, etc... a veritable "à la Matrix" experience. (Elon Musk's Neuralink says what?!)

That or if hardware techs/mathematicians/engineers ever get to develop a truly analogue "curved 3D splice" method instead of the "angular 3D splice" that has been used since the dawn of 3D graphics. A curve-base system would spare millions in vectors and allow for the saved extra power to be applied elsewhere, which would also result in sort-of a quantum-leap in graphical quality. Probably never gonna happen due to limitations on how we implement the binary system into everything that computes. A true "curve-based 3D method" would have to transcend the digital binary system (instead of just 0 or 1, we would have the whole range of 0.0 all the way to 1.0, which is true analogical) and that would be an absolute revolution (which would, more than probably, also introduce a lot of problems, like breaking backward compatibility or continuity).

Seriously now, maybe ray tracing is the next big thing in graphical evolution. It's still in its infancy and the difference it introduces can amount to be quite big up ahead.

Page generated in 0.04434 seconds with 11 queries