View Single Post
Old 27 June 2021, 12:48   #1
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Building a retrobriting tank

OK, new thread cos I suspect many people will not follow the massive RB thread and this is specific about building a tank for retrobriting by submersion (I think cream is dangerous to achieve a uniform finish, certainly with some retro plastics)

Requirements
  1. Size/capacity

I suggest should be able to fit an Amiga 500 (and hence Atari ST) case. Apart from monitors, what other machines should define tank size? Ideally I think tank needs to be a little bigger but not massive if you intend to fill with peroxide without it being super diluted or slow to heat

Let's also consider available (readily) containers (eg Really Useful boxes etc) and are they suitable for up to 60C use?
  2. Heating

Some kind of kettle heater element I guess - Ideally cheap as we won't be heating water but peroxide solution which probably isn't good (long term) for the element
  3. Temperature monitoring

We need a circuit to monitor the liquid temp (not next to the heater) and to control the heater so it doesn't overheat
  4. Fluid flow

Some sort of fish pond pump to circulate the liquid. Not massive capacity but you want to mix the liquid around so one end is not hotter than the other
  5. Timers

Override to switch system off after X hours

So let's have a discussion of this, suggestions for parts (links fine) and links to similar systems and see if we can find a good balance. I have a friend with his own (I could copy) but interested to see the collective wisdom of EAB and maybe (not promising to) build one?

Page generated in 0.04644 seconds with 11 queries