View Single Post
Old 16 June 2021, 17:35   #2818
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
Sorry to insist, but this is not a matter of lack of knowledge or being embarrassed or not.
You asked why we care that a hard drive is faster than another fast drive (or than a floppy)?
Does this need ANY kind of knowledge?
I didn't ask that.

Sorry to insist it IS a lack or knowledge on my part, as I don't really know how faster mb/s will benefit me in the real world when using my Amiga.

Obviously a little less now since I've had some explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
I mean, does anybody explain to us (as adults) why we need to eat, or why we put one foot in front of the other when we walk? Or why larger steps result in faster walking? Or why we need faster walking?

It is not like asking "why the sun rises".
It more like asking "why when the sun rises, I can see more things out of my window".

It could be a difference in mentality, or my language barrier, or I don't know what, but really... sorry.
Sorry that I (still) fail to understand, and sorry that I insisted and why I commented this like I did.
Carry on.
Just being patronising now aren't you? Just no need for that response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
The larger the file, the more enjoyable it is to read quickly.

The Amiga has a slow CPU (even the fastest ones) so in the end the hard disk speed can get you only so much..

If you consider a large jpg file, the CPU will take a while to decode it no matter how quick the transfer rate of the HD.
Ok so it's not quite as straight forward as fast transfer speed, fast opening everything etc. Any demanding games benefit from faster transfer speed?

Last edited by rabidgerry; 16 June 2021 at 17:46.

Page generated in 0.04497 seconds with 11 queries