View Single Post
Old 07 June 2021, 08:51   #5
ImmortalA1000

Thanks to all the replies

It was really just me wondering if I would be able to initiate CDDA track play commencing via software control once I had finished loading the data needed for the program to run the next scene level so I could do something like Simon the Sorcerer or It Came from the Desert Turbografix edition etc with very rich animation and speech (but without using crappy CDXL for FMV type rubbish PC-CDROM game designs).

Imagine trying to write a CD audio player inside Blitz (my preferred choice for performance) or Amos with the ability to set start and end points in minutes:seconds within the program to play a CDDA track. If I can do that with some sort of patch/library we're good to go with a test game

I keep meaning to research what tools were used for things like Rocket Ranger and It Came from the Desert because I want to do a game like that (technically not artistically) but imagine if Cinemaware only did games for 40mb HD equipped OCS Amigas. Arcade quality sequences are out of the question but the ropey frame rate/controller input update shooting the antenna off the ants etc in ICftD never affected the review scores so Blitz is more than up to the job of that performance with some good design of large numbers of frames for a couple of bobs over static backgrounds ...so we get CD-ROM FMV style games using anim-brush characters over static screens and CD quality background music/ambient sound and/or speech for all the scenes easily streamed via CDDA tracks.

Perhaps I could combine some of my oddball EHB fog tricks and Cinemaware NEVER used copperlists so wasted too many colours on sky graduations etc. I can see how to do VGA quality games using copper and EHB fog ideas for some scenes without breaking a sweat even in Blitz (1 large bob+crosshair to shoot antenna off ants is not going to kill the game engine and on It Came from the Desert on an A500 the frame rate is about 5fps like some C coded Atari STFM shit anyway, actually It Came from the Desert action sequences need an A4000/040 to be playable most of the time just like 2D PC DOS games are shit unless you had a 486 at the very least).

Page generated in 0.04223 seconds with 11 queries