View Single Post
Old 01 June 2021, 15:52   #9
Velociraptor5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
The "MaxNameLength" value for icons can be set with the Workbench preferences on OS 3.1.4 or with "WBCTRL MNL=102" (or maybe 95) for WB 3.5/3.9.

In case that you still have an older workbench.library which has no support for longer filenames, but a newer icon.library like my 46.4 then you could try my simple command for setting MNL=102 (sorry, it's hard coded to 102, I didn't know the SFS limit, you can put it into the user-startup or startup-sequence):

Update: Just edited the "102" into a "95" under Windows, that's at offset $55, the value was $66 and is now $5F, hope it works (check the protection flags to be RWED on the Amiga.

Thanks for your info.

I have heard about the "MaxNameLength" or "WBCTRL", but it has been connected with OS3.5 and more. That's why I didn't want to write about it.

I have to repeat. I use Classic Workbench P96 and this WB requires either WB3.0 or WB3.1 for instalation only. Nothing less, nothing more. Unfortunately, I don't want to change it for any other OS, because in my opinion, It's maximum reachable and comfortable under WinUAE. Absolutely everything is pre-instaled, screen resolutions what you want, context menus... just "litlle windows" in Amiga enviroment.

Ok. You are speaking about OS 3.1.4 or OS 3.5/3.9. Let's say, that your idea or advice could work also at me. I would like to try it (already tried, probably wrongly), but I will need your supervision. Just say where I am wrong or just say, it doesn't make a sense to test it at me at all.

Recapitulation:
My system doesn't contain any workbench.library, contains icon.library v46.4.326 (68020), I can change it for newer v46.4.543 (68020) taken from Aminet.

Now, we have your 2 files (3):
GlobalMNL102
GlobalMNL102.asm

I would put both to the "C/" directory and then write to the "user-startup" or "startup-sequence" (both?) this:
C:GlobalMNL102

(can it be placed wherever? up, down, in the midle of the document...)

and save.

...and maybe it could work.

Am I correct or totally wrong? I don't have enough experiences with "startup sequences"...

Thanks

Page generated in 0.08377 seconds with 11 queries