View Single Post
Old 22 May 2021, 14:04   #36
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by manossg View Post
If both the Pi4 and the Mister provide with such a superb Amiga experience and the Pi4 is so much cheaper and easier to use, I feel we have a clear winner.
Problem is "superb" means different things to different people...so it's not really so clear in the end

Pi4 is no doubt much cheaper, has a nice menu frontend, and also emulation perks, such as savestates. So if these things are important to an user, then it's a better choice. The downside is general sluggishness of the whole thing: the Retropie/Amiberry load times and menus in general. The in-game lag can be another factor, although I agree that its importance is vastly exaggerated because it's rather hard to detect. Other thing is that configuring the whole thing can be a nightmare....Retropie is full of little gotchas which you need to spend time finding how to solve and that can be annoying.

MiSTer's advantages are a bit harder to explain. The lack of lag is definitely a thing, but as said above it might not be that important. The other is the fact that the devs are trying to actually replicate/simulate/whatever the chip logic as close to 1:1 as possible, so you can imagine it's actually the real machine. It contributes to that general "feel", along with the superfast boot and load times, general responsiveness, simple menus, and the fact you have to use it as you would the real thing. It really does work, but is definitely an "in your head" thing , so it's hard to argue about. Some people might care about it, some don't, or will get this kick from emulators anyway.

So it's just different strokes, really. Pi4 is more of a mass-market solution (not a bad thing) while MiSTer, with its rather peculiar strong points, might appeal to a more niche enthusiast group, with specific needs. For example the main reason I use it is because it works so perfectly with CRTs, the other things are just a bonus. If not for that, I wouldn't be using it but also not a Pi - I'd stick with my powerful desktop which can run advanced shaders.

And, I must admit I was disappointed with @admiral's "arguments" in this thread...unfortunately this is the kind of FPGA zealotry which most likely actually pushes people away, because of its elitist approach.

EDIT: you can use MegaAGS in Winuae too. It's a good collection, but forces a lot of games into NTSC by default so the results can be a bit curious.

@roondar: I don't like emualtion without scanlines AND shadowmask

Page generated in 0.06769 seconds with 11 queries