View Single Post
Old 22 May 2021, 11:59   #29
Fuzzball

Quote:
Originally Posted by manossg View Post
I have been trying to find this legendary input lag for months, playing games (incl. Pinball Dreams) almost side by side on my A500 and my Pi4 to see if anything there would justify my obtaining a Mister.
Guess what? No difference.

I also do not doubt that there "should be" input lag issues, but I cannot for the life of me feel any.

There are a lot of real things that cannot be perceived by humans (eg sound frequencies) above or below a certain threshold, so I guess some people are more sensitive to this legendary 'lag' than others (I don't know if there are any studies on input lag perception). Or have a very laggy monitor/controller setup. Or, more probably, they perceive what they expect that they should perceive.
To be honest, I'm the same. I don't doubt for one second that the lag exists. I can understand the theory and I'm certainly not suggesting anyone is wrong. It's just for me personally, I don't notice a difference.

Along with the Mister FPGA, I bought a Pi4 for comparison and I really can't tell the difference. I would forget which one I was currently using. I guess I am just not sensitive to it. However, I prefer the Mister FPGA experience - the quicker boot, the simpler menus. I just find it generally simpler to use and more streamlined experience. Is that worth the difference in price? No probably not for me personally but it's bought now so I'm not going to worry about it. I have other plans for the Pi4 anyway.

The one area of the Mister's "accuracy" that is starting to wear thin on me though is for some of the other cores other than the Amiga. Nostalgia of some of those systems (Spectrum, CPC and Vic20 for example) is great but having to go through the accurate process of remembering how to load them (e.g on CPC inserting the disk, typing CAT to see the disk contents then RUN"filename on the correct file but then a different process on a different system) gets a bit tedious for me compared to just using RetroPie and selecting a game. So on the one hand I love accuracy of it and on the other I don't

Don't get me wrong though. The Mister is an incredible piece of kit and I prefer it over the Pi.

Page generated in 0.07182 seconds with 11 queries