View Single Post
Old 22 May 2021, 05:25   #1
Firestone

Happy Proof of concept: Network bootdisk and installer for real hardware

Hi everyone!

I have been doing some experiments with a network bootdisk for my Amigas where I'm able to get packages from Aminet and other sources even with a blank harddrive, setting the system up from scratch, using only a single floppydrive.

The goal was to use as little resources as possible to see if I got it working, and it seems like i works fine, and I'm even able to install AmigaOS3.1 over the network using only http and a few other tools mentioned in the video below.

I know I could of course just prepare my systems on WinUAE, but I'm most of the time just using real Amiga hardware anyway, and it's kind of fun just to see if it works

The concept here is that there is an ENV-variable which contains the url to the repository server.
If you pass a packagename to this system, it will look for two things:
- The package containing the program you want to run/install
- A custom script written to automate the installation/dearchiving process

In this way I'm able to store these things on my local webserver and modify the scripts from there, boot the Amiga, and click on the package-name in the list.

When experimenting with real hardware, it's good to be able to install those essential packages in a controlled simple way. For example I sometimes need MUI, IBrowse, Dopus, MagicWB or whatever which makes the basic system for me.

Again... this is just for fun!

[ Show youtube player ]

Page generated in 0.04589 seconds with 10 queries