View Single Post
Old 20 May 2021, 22:26   #156
saimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
Technically, moveq is 8->32, not 32. You don't believe me ? Read this then :
http://www2.ece.ohio-state.edu/~degr.../M68000PRM.pdf
No, problem. Just let me download the file and have a look... Oh, surprise!

(Click to see in full size.)

Quote:
Not exactly, no. They just say - and only in the specific manual you linked to - that it's a longword operation. Nowhere they say we should write 'moveq.l' and not 'moveq'.
The specific manual I linked to is the same manual you linked to, and that I happen have here in paper, straight from Motorola And this is what it says:

(Click to see in full size.)

Now, you're throwing in the mix two things I either didn't touch on or say:
* Technically, moveq is 8->32, not 32 - that's right, but I didn't even remotely touch on that aspect;
* we should write 'moveq.l' and not 'moveq' - nowhere I said that.

Let's instead look at what actually happened.
In post #140 you wrote: As an example, most assemblers will accept moveq.l even though it is technically incorrect (moveq has no size).
With post #145 I showed that "moveq has no size" is false, as the official reference manual from Motorola (again, the same you linked to) states that the size of moveq is long; additionally, I showed an example on an instruction that actually has no size (bfextu).
That's all there is to it, and I'm shocked that such a basic matter started such a reaction

Regarding appending ".l" to "moveq": it's redundant, but not technically wrong, because the size attribute of moveq is precisely .l. But that's a totally different story from lsr.l d5: that is just wrong, because Motorola's syntax - and, even more, instruction encoding - demands that a count be specified when the operand is a register.

Quote:
Other syntaxes exist, not just the one of Motorola :
https://www.nextop.de/NeXTstep_3.3_D...mld/index.html
Who designed the CPU and defined the instruction set with its syntax is the only authority in such matter, and that's Motorola. Alternative syntaxes can and have been be adopted, but they can't have higher authority.

Page generated in 0.05986 seconds with 11 queries