View Single Post
Old 20 May 2021, 17:38   #24
defor

@Roondar: Thank you. Very nice reading. I was experimenting with copper-chunky during my youth years back in '93 or '94. I didn't know about 7bpls trick back then though, so I was combining bitplanes with sprites. Photon's rotozoomer (which you mentioned) does it too? Does it allow him to stop bitplanes fetching sooner so that CPU can access chip-ram?
Btw I'm not sure about this passage in your article:
Quote:
The display will work as if it has 6 active bitplanes, but Denise will only fetch 4 of them.
Isn't it Agnus which fetches 4 words only but Denise still combines words from all BPLxDAT registers? What I don't like about 7bpls trick is that it really doesn't work on AGA and therefore one either must implement a workaround or be prepared for angry reactions from people having AGA machines only
Also, I remember that eventually coders used interlace copper-chunky technique more often (copper color change every 8 pixels with a 4 pixel mask which is swapped every line and frame) as it allows full-screen. Looks ugly and dark though
My suggestion for your next article: Zooming, or "star-wars scroller" :-) Is it really possible by modyfing bplcon2 along the line only?

Page generated in 0.04820 seconds with 11 queries