View Single Post
Old 19 May 2021, 16:08   #73
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
You wrote : "such an environment is far less fragile than the OS itself".
This strongly suggests you're talking about crashing. Bugs that can't crash don't stress the OS.
That's your assumption, but not what I meant. A non-crashing bug can still cause issues after all.
Quote:
What you don't see here is that not all bugs have equal importance and the ones that can do the most damage aren't the ones that escape detection.
Of course I see that, I never argued against it.

Anyway, you're wrong to begin with, the most damaging bugs are often the ones that aren't detected until it's too late. Quite big companies have gone bust because of undetected bugs.
Quote:
That ought not make us paranoid about bugs either. A small glitch that occurs once out of 100 won't crash the system and thus require sandboxing.
There are plenty of reasons to prefer sandboxing for games on systems like the Amiga. My statement about bugs is just one of them.
Quote:
That's possible.
But in any case, assuming isn't proving. So assume if you want, but don't pretend it's a proof - as it's not.
I'm not assuming. I'm observing. And my observations fit with what I'm saying and they don't fit with what you're saying.
Quote:
Well, what did bring us here ? Ah yes, that was that whdload was necessary for you because we can't write bugless code ? If so, you have to know that whdload isn't a magical "fix my bugs" program and someone has to do the hard work anyway. So do it with a hacking program or in the original source, i think i know which i'd prefer.
This is the third time you're making assumptions about me this post. For the record, all of your written assumptions about me so far this thread have been dead wrong and I've had to correct you on them every time. Kindly stop making these assumptionist. It's becoming tedious to have to correct you on all of these.

No, WHDLoad isn't necessary for me. It's a handy tool which would allow me to get my software available on more Amiga's than I actually personally care about*. It is not about fixing my bugs, but about providing a known-good environment so that users of the machines I don't own and can't physically test on would still have access to my programs. This is extremely useful to have.

*) if it has more than a 68020 or perhaps a 68030 I don't care about it and likely never will. If it has RTG, Networking, USB, etc - I also don't care about it. I don't care about PPC. I don't care about the Vampire. I don't care about OS 3.1.4/3.2/3.5/3.9/4.x.

I'm into the Amiga because of the low end models - as they were back in the early 1990's at the latest. They're all I care about. And I'm fed up with having to consider a gazillion other configurations and downgrading performance on my target machines, just so all of it will run on massively expanded Amiga filled with OS's I don't own, CPU's I don't own and have never officially been supported by Commodore and who knows what else. I'll do my best, I won't deliberately make things not work and I'll use all the compatibility code I know - but if there is a tool that makes it so that the users of all those machines I personally don't care about can still use stuff I'd release even if my coding prowess may have failed - then I'm 100% in favour of it.

WHDLoad is one of the best things about the modern Amiga. Instead of slagging it off, appreciate what it does. Even if it's not for you.

Last edited by roondar; 19 May 2021 at 16:15.

Page generated in 0.04462 seconds with 11 queries