View Single Post
Old 17 May 2021, 06:24   #16
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
for ScummVM games, the best way would be to rewrite ScummVM to drop SDL and directly use native amiga routines.

That means loading the graphics and converting them to blittable copies in memory instead of doing constant full screen refresh + c2p update.

But I don't think it's impossible. It's just that current ports of ScummVM are "lazy" (I mean the effort is good but getting rid of SDL is a must have to get a good performance)
Okay I feel like I need to correct a few things here.

Most of the 68K ports of ScummVM are using my native back-end which took me years of hard work to develop from scratch, nothing lazy there. My back-end uses a chunky frame-buffer but it's still very fast considering the hardware (even runs on an Amiga 500 with an 030).

Also using the SDL actually makes a lot of sense, it means that it's much quicker to get something up and running as a proof of concept and then you can spend time tweaking it later. I once ported Wolfenstein 3D to AGA in 4 hours using SDL and it was bloody fast too

[ Show youtube player ]

The problem with the newer ScummVM ports after I stopped building it is that they became progressively slower because they are more demanding (more features and more games), this always happens with large projects that are continually updated.

BTW I also did an AGA version of dune 2 so you should update your list

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by NovaCoder; 17 May 2021 at 06:39.

Page generated in 0.04303 seconds with 11 queries