View Single Post
Old 03 May 2021, 21:32   #10
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
*Sigh* In case this was not clear to begin with: OpenScreen() and friends will allocate the same amount of chip ram for the bitmap than you would have to allocate, except that you have to do a lot more footwork, plus the risk to do it wrong. There is nothing to "allocate again". OpenScreen allocates the memory for you - and you find this memory in screen->RastPort.BitMap and the bitmap pointers therein.

There is really an Os to do the work for you, with tested and working functions. It does not make sense to re-invent the wheel. The Os knows the corner cases of the chipset, its quirks, such as alignment requirements on the bitmap, independent on the chipset revision and the host system.

Not all of us do everything through the OS, if this (sigh) offends you then maybe move swiftly on to another thread.

As I've tried to explain... I am short on chip ram, I don't want to allocate upwards of 64kb for a bitmap when I already have that ram available in a previous allocation to load and unpack files from.

My question was simple, can I use LoadView() to point to a simple copper list that I previously created... it seems the answer is "no"... that's all you had to say instead of jabbering on.

Also, when I take over the system I do a call to Disable(), when the game is done I make a call to Enable() and release all ram and everything comes back fine, minutes may have passed during the interval.

Last edited by mcgeezer; 03 May 2021 at 21:38.

Page generated in 0.05347 seconds with 11 queries