View Single Post
Old 28 April 2021, 23:01   #108
litwr

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
The screenshot shows something has actually caught the cpu exception and displayed an error message. And it's not TOS, which just shows a row of bombs and returns to the desktop.
It is perfectly possible to catch the illegal instruction exception on the Amiga too, either by altering the vector directly (not recommended under OS) or by registering an exception handler in your task structure.
I have just found out that TOS doesn't have any standard shell at all! What a strange system! Indeed there are several shells available for TOS but they do not support even the redirection of program output. Indeed it was a shell that caught the exception... I thought it was TOS behind the shell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
No, it doesn't. Please get your facts straight. If you click on "Suspend", the process is removed from the CPU. No software error, nothing. If nothing else of the machine is damaged, you continue working - that's it. The software error you get on "Reboot". It reboots the machine, then displays the alert.
There is no "Suspend" or "Reboot" for WB 1.3 - it has only "Retry" and "Cancel" options and both can only invoke the Guru Meditation. Suspend/Reboot appeared only in WB 2. My Amiga did not have it.

Quote:
It uses the function codes to avoid writes into the supervisor space, yes, but that's not "memory protection". It does not protect the state of the Os from getting overwritten either.
Sorry, I missed your point. What do the function codes mean?

Quote:
No, you decided to reboot it. That's not the same. You can also suspend the faulty process. AmigaOs will not take down the resources the task allocated, because it cannot, there is no resource tracking. On a single-task operating system, you can just re-initialize all resources and restart the Os, and be good with it as there is nothing else that runs. But the same trick doesn't work without affecting other processes on a multi-tasking system.
Thank you. However my screenshot proves that an application which caused an exception is just removed, no rebooting was required. Indeed it is because TOS is single-tasking.

Last edited by litwr; 29 April 2021 at 14:57.

Page generated in 0.04446 seconds with 11 queries