View Single Post
Old 27 April 2021, 11:33   #12
Total Eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
There are some other FPGA boards which also run Amiga core (Minimig). The original MiST, SiDi: https://manuferhi.com/p/sidi and maybe some others, I can never remember which one does which anymore. SiDi is cheaper than MiSTer but also less powerful and has no HDMI.
Speaking as a MiST (not Mister) user, I'd say that the MiST probably offers the closest to a re-implementation of a real Amiga (and indeed many other 8 and 16 bit machines), in that you have the option to use your original joysticks, the video output is analogue and compatible with TV's that have SCART inputs. It does also support many USB controllers, and will work on screens with VGA inputs, though the screen must be able to sync to a 50Hz vertical refresh if you're using PAL software.

The Mister is a more modern take on that - the primary video output is via HDMI, so is generally plug-and-play with modern screens. It also, by default, uses USB joysticks or control pads. There are additional boards that can provide DE-9 joystick ports or analogue video output if that's what you still want to use.

As I've had a MiST for many years, I've never felt any need to purchase a Mister, however if you're coming into this from scratch and only have modern displays, the Mister would be a great option. It doesn't look great (IMO) by default (it is, after all, a development board that potentially has other boards hanging off it), but I'm pretty certain there are some pretty good cases also available nowadays.

Page generated in 0.04250 seconds with 11 queries