View Single Post
Old 22 April 2021, 16:37   #60
VladR

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
I was a Imagine3d user, (Lightwave not so much). Off the top of my head, 50MHz 060 render times were 5x faster than 50Mhz 030 (Both Blizzards).
Here's a fun little story for ya.
My last big project I ever did on Amiga was a scene with over 330,000 polygons.
Interesting project. I plugged this number to my excel sheet where I have benchmark data from Vampire (for all 3d pipeline stages) and it would render the scene in ~4 minutes using simple flatshading.

The 3D Mesh would use about 16 MB of RAM, so plenty of RAM is free.

Out of 15,000 frames (/60 = 4.1 minute), the 13,000 are used for 3D transform and quad set-up and 2,000 frames for scanline traversal.

Only 103 frames (1.5 second out of over 4 minutes) would be spent on pixel fill (actual drawing). Texturing would take slightly longer, shadows depending on approach also.

I reckon if I used indexing, it would drop to 25-50%, as edges are shared (between 2 polygons) and so are vertices (usually by 4 polygons) so no need to compute them again.

This particular scene - judging from wireframe - appears to have majority of polygons in chains and cobbles, so without them it could totally be real-time and playable [flatshaded] on Vampire as it should be under 30,000 tris easily.

Page generated in 0.04528 seconds with 11 queries