View Single Post
Old 22 April 2021, 07:08   #9
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_H View Post
If you want to cut it from your professional portfolio, by all means do so. But hold onto a copy for yourself. It’s something you created and has some level of value for that reason alone, even if it’s “useless”.
Some of the stuff I created on PC I'd already done before, better, on Amiga. And in any case, the code I'm most proud of is in the stuff I'm gonna keep.

I'll even keep my old university project, the cataloguing system that was written in Visual Basic, runs in Windows 95 yet doesn't use the long filename format, so it was obsolete before it was even completed. But I like the elaborate lengths I went to to get it done.

As for the "variations on a theme"... Let's see, the fractal landscape generators as an example:

The first one is only 16 colours in hi-res, renders only very basic blue, yellow and green "tropical islands" but takes absolutely ages to draw them. It was basically to see how my Amiga fractal landscape code could be adapted to basic PC graphics (VGA was not available to me then) and to be honest, even the Amiga original had shadows, whereas this doesn't (not enough colours, see?)

The second one, possibly my first C program in MS-DOS and one I'm very proud of, is 256 colour VGA, has various colours for rock, foliage and water, whose elevations can be adjusted in real-time (more or less) complete with shadows cast by the sun and has an optional isometric 3D view.

The third one is written in Delphi and is fully Windows, with 24-bit colour for the 2D and 3D rendering, and instead of an isometric view, is full first-person view, complete with sun and shadow effects, and the colours are fully customisable. So good that someone used it to make their DeviantArt pictures for a while.

Guess which one I'm ditching?

Last edited by Foebane; 22 April 2021 at 07:15.

Page generated in 0.05506 seconds with 11 queries