View Single Post
Old 20 April 2021, 23:47   #47
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overmann View Post
I was looking for that when I was freshly blown away by the 040 but found nothing. It really seems to perform extremely close to the 060 to me. I have an 060 clocked at 66mhz and even then the difference is very small.
Not only does Doom play well but Quake is playable as well, and Shapeshifter absolutely flies with an RTG-card. Marathon, Warcraft II, Links LS and SimCity2000 all play really nicely.
The one metric 040 wins clearly these days is performance / dollar ;-)
But one important thing to understand is that the 060 is a dual instruction pipeline design, so in theory, running perfectly optimized code, it could retire double the amount of instructions/clock cycle compared to the 040. But that's in theory..
Software that doesn't do anything to utilize a dual instruction pipeline will run similarly at same clock on 040 and 060. This is still noticable today.. I have a 12 core, 24-core thread Ryzen in my PC running at ~4GHz. But if you run a single threadded benchmark it will lose to a quadcore Ryzen (of the same generation) that runs at a higher clock.

The other thing to remember is that getting the CPU to run at a higher clock is also an option when chasing more performance. 486 was technically worse / clock than 040 but would clock much higher. There's a reason there was never any 040 faster than 40MHz. In comparison, even the rev 1 060 could run at 50MHz without cooler. And as we know, last revision clocks to 90-100MHz.

So these are things to consider when you compare 040 to 060.
That being said, I'm pretty certain that a 40MHz 040 is what would give you the best bang for the buck in terms of overall processing power (CPU+FPU) on your Amiga.

Page generated in 0.04469 seconds with 11 queries