View Single Post
Old 19 April 2021, 09:31   #444
jizmo
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Politely, youre talking bollocks as is the other guy weeping.

Let's pretend the ST didnt exist.

There would have been zero reason to convert any graphics to 16 colour because the ST wouldn't have been a consideration, using solely the cpu to move all that around would have been a non-starter, it would have been a necessity to understand the hardware sooner than later.

Now tell me, when there is literally no reason for anything on Amiga to be 16 colours and not using the hardware better, because there is no ST version that would dictate those terms, please explain why Amiga titles wouldn't naturally look and play better?
Plenty of dodgy Amiga exclusives proof this a wishful thinking at best. Even with the added power of A1200 and CD32 at their hands and the chance to build up an Amiga exclusive game from a scratch most developers struggled to produce anything remarkable.

As for why Amiga titles would not have "naturally looked and played better" – not something that I said. But let's pretend that I did.

Even though we love the machine, Amiga is not a magic wand that you can wave to immediately make everything better. Plenty of bad art, bad code, bad gameplay and plain bad game design choices would have riddled any 16-bit home computer, even with Atari never releasing ST. Heck, some downright awful Amiga games were being released years after Atari was completely out of the picture.

Talented coders, musicians and artists thrived both on Atari and Amiga, and bad ones struggled horribly on both. What may have saved us from all this would not been the absence of ST, but rather any sort of quality control from the platform and the publishing side.

Last edited by jizmo; 19 April 2021 at 09:40.

Page generated in 0.04356 seconds with 11 queries