Thread: Tf1230
View Single Post
Old 02 April 2021, 16:17   #12
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by seb132 View Post
It’s a great idea... if not April’s fool joke.
But really a FPU on a blizzard is coooooool!
Ok, so.. there is already plenty of 1230 cards with FPU if one thinks that's really necessary so get one of those by all means? I mean, they've been around for 27 years or so so its not like there wasn't time to get one ;-)
TF designs are usually about making affordable alternatives for the masses.. alternatives to what's already out there.

But mostly I'm curious what people do with FPU on 030 cards these days. I used to raytrace (Imagine 3d) on a 50MHz Blizzard 1230 back in 1994/95 and already then I thought it was waaaay to slow so when I got a 060 as soon as it came out, it rendered 5 times faster and I never looked back at a 030 as an alternative.. also games like Quake that need an FPU are not playable on 030 anyway.
Apart from that FPU requirements must be a very low %% of what people do with their Amigas these days. Its not that I think and FPU is a bad idea but one needs to look at it from the proper context. Not every product ever released is the solution to everyone's problems.
If one really needs an FPU then other cards than this might be right for you ;-)

Page generated in 0.04253 seconds with 11 queries