View Single Post
Old 15 March 2021, 19:00   #5
no9

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
It's actually Roondar, not Roodnar
Pardon me, I fixed it!

Quote:
Anyway, the numbers posted are indeed accurate for 11KHz fixed-sample rate mixing @4 channels mixed. However, I think Samurai_Crow was probably referring to non-fixed sample rate mixing, which is indeed a whole lot more expensive CPU wise.
That's probably true. AFAIR Digibooster took the whole CPU time to reach only 6 channels, while the other trackers usually offered 8 channels, but probably maximizing the quality (accordingly to the CPU limits). With all todays 'lofi music' genres I think it is worth to consider some compromises here. There could be more interesting 'channels setup' like "2 hardware channels + 4 fixed samplerate channels + 2 variable sample rate channels mixed at 8kHz" or something like that.

Quote:
  • Support for effects/commands/etc would be very limited using this mixer: volume changes would affect all mixed channels at the same time, other alterations to the sample being played have a maximum of roughly one change per frame (at default settings)
  • Sample rate is fixed and performance cost is tied directly to sample rate chosen
  • Mixing 4 channels means the volume of the mixed channel is lower than the non-mixed channels
Obviously, these compromises don't apply to the three standard hardware channels you'd still have access to.
That is understandable - there is a lot Protracker modules where channels are occupied by nothing else than drum loops (or any other loops). Actually...
Contemporary DAWs like Cubase work at fixed frequency sample rate and samples are usually converted to projects sample rate while importing them. And having 3 hardware channels with all standard features, flexibility and variable frequency allows a lot of music to be stuffed there. As you pointing out the volume levels, they just need to be adjused accordingly but this can be done with volume registers, isn't it?

So while your Audio Mixer has its limitations I consider it as a fresh oportunity for the sound of Amiga modules

Last edited by no9; 15 March 2021 at 20:56.

Page generated in 0.06644 seconds with 11 queries