Thread: PDOS for Amiga
View Single Post
Old 04 March 2021, 12:03   #41
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerravon View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AROS_R...erating_System

A workable AmigaOS Kickstart clone for the Motorola 68000 processor was released on March 31, 2011 as part of a programming bounty.

Perhaps this alternate kickstart can be hacked into an actual BIOS? It may even contain character to graphics conversion capability already?
It's a reengineered AmigaOS clone. So it does things the same like the original, just a bit slower. If you plan to run as an application under AmigaOS anyway, then there is no advantage. If you want to take over the system and write your own BIOS, you may be able to use its source text for reference when writing drivers. Although, there may be better sources for the information you need.

Quote:
Ok, I don't want that. I would instead like a separately-built PDOS and applications for the PPC.

I took a look at GCC 3.2.3 and there is a target called "rs6000". Do you think that would produce code that will run on these newer flavors of Amiga hardware? I'm still talking about 32-bit of course.
Yes. IBM RS6000 is a PPC workstation (Openfirmware based). But that doesn't matter. You only want it to output PPC code, which it perfectly does.

Just note that without AmigaOS such PPC hardware is no Amiga at all. It has no Amiga hardware. It is a UBoot- or OpenFirmware based PPC-board with standard components. You will boot with the firmware, which in fact is comparable to a BIOS.

Quote:
Ok, so this function Read():

http://amigadev.elowar.com/read/ADCD.../node02E0.html

would have resided in amiga.lib?
As Thomas wrote, modern AmigaOS compilers can call shared library functions directly (by inlining a
jsr -offset(a6)
call to the function's library vector offset.
This is probably nothing the m68k backend of your compiler can generate, so you will need a linker library with a small assembler stub function to do these calls (amiga.lib).

Quote:
I think I would like to revive that, to be able to build PDPCLIB (and thus GCC etc) according to the official docs of the Amiga 1000, and have the source still work in newer 68k environments.
If you run as an application under AmigaOS you will be safe. The basic OS functions, which you will use, never changed in later OS releases (would be very bad if they did).
If you want to take over the system, then you need to be prepared for all kinds of M68k CPUs (68000 up to 68060), FPUs and MMUs, countless expansion boards and memory layouts. But I guess this is no longer an option for you, as you want to access a hard disk, and you don't even know which IDE or SCSI chip the controller board uses!

Page generated in 0.04846 seconds with 11 queries