View Single Post
Old 27 February 2021, 19:51   #53
Reynolds
Alien Breeder

One thing is that in the heydays the A500 was the most common config. Other is, we're not in the heydays anymore and the possibilities are vastly extended. Ah yes, and third aspect is the development process. I mean noone is chained down to a basic Amiga setup to create state-of-the-art games, demos or whatever, but most stuffs are coming to see the light of day on modern pcs. So targetting a base A500 (with 1 megz of ram ) is a nice challenge, but as storage devs are cheap as dimes nowadays, at least this should be taken into consideration, but doesn't happen. At least extended versions could come out for high(er) spec machines' owners. While more and more users are expanding their configs with 030+ CPUs and other bits & pieces, they have to accept that these extra resources will not be supported. Even nostalgic factor is forming strongly by using chiptunes in fresh Amiga games... but come on, we already had the chance to enjoy Project-X, Agony, Pinball Dreams and other amazing games with proper audio - why should we bother ourselves with chiuptunes? those should be left for C64 and Spectrum kind of machines where it really belongs to. Even on a plain A500 with hdd music could be even streamed or rendered anims could be used... but I know I'm just dreaming... but hey, if we consider to develop and buy new stuff, it should deliver quality, even if we are talking on hobby projects. And one more thing.... Classic 68K, OS4, MOS, AROS... but why should we leave PowerUp/WarpUp? We have more options still available in parallel to target, but have to stick to the A500? Can't see the point. We should take the advantages.
Saying that a developer can't be forced or requested to test on most/every hw available, is kinda nonsense. Many of us have various configs and can offer them to make tests about practically everything. If a developer afraids of his/her stuff getting stolen or leaked, any limitations he/she could include the program gave for tests, to cease it's inappropriate spread and/or theft.
I have dozens of hw and always when I see a new project, and see any chance to offer my service, I do that, because I had the time and money to buy the hw, now as I can't code, I can only support developers with betatesting and buying games.

Maybe this last thought from me will be kinda opposite, but one thing also valid: IF a developer plans to make something on any platform, it is his/her decision. Like an artist, when does somewhat extraordinary because of the way he/she sees some feels to express him/herself. His/her right is to do what & how he/she want. but then don't be surprised if the audience won't be satisfied due to different thinking.

Page generated in 0.10250 seconds with 11 queries