View Single Post
Old 26 February 2021, 12:56   #58
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogs View Post
He's not misremembering.
I've shown twice that he misremembered. WordPerfect, 80 columns, he had it. The Amiga had the capability to let him word process on his futuristic Amiga.

That refuted, you shift to make it about resolution instead of 80 columns. If resolution was a problem, he could buy a graphics card, just like he did for his PC. These were for displaying graphs at the time, they could not handle a full-blown GUI.

The thread title is a lie because sales stats show it thrived. Obviously fans of Amiga hoped it to win the personal computer race, but it was a decade ahead of everything else. A few users in the rest of the world, and many users in the US, didn't know that this was what they wanted. Remember that GUIs were new and the Mac wasn't a success either. US users were stuck in the old, and only later did they know GUIs were the future. Xerox management made the same mistake. They just didn't understand enough (translation: dumb mistake). I think USA not embracing Amiga was a dumb mistake.

Among all the computer brands, the only one that clearly showed it could do more than others and was worth switching to, was the Amiga. Previously, for workers, a purchase may have depended on a killer app, but the first Apple IIs, Commodore 64s, and IBM PCs weren't bought for a killer app. They had to wait for those.

To me it just sounds like your dad didn't have the patience to wait for software. And early adopters never buy a computer for those.

So, long story short: the main reason why your argument (no 80 columns=low sales) is wrong is because it doesn't address the early adopters. And the points in your argument that are technical have been shown false.

(Changing the title to add "in the US" is not recommended, as all current posts will address the original and read as strange replies if the context is pulled out from under them.)

Page generated in 0.38432 seconds with 11 queries