View Single Post
Old 12 February 2021, 07:41   #17
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
- Wasn't there a kick 2.0 A500 then? Rev7 pictures seem to show a kick 1.3. (Wikipedia says no. I guess we must have bought them as an upgrade and swapped them.)
True, none from the factory. Us "power users" swapped them in ourselves.

Quote:
- Can you have 1MB chip + trapdoor RAM on any A500? (I guess not, since it requires 8372 and this will always map extra RAM as chipmem?)
You need to build an additional circuit to enable this. Many oversized trapdoor expansions had a Gary board that handled that stuff.

Quote:
- ... But the "always" is just not true, since my Rev 6A's have 8372 and keeps slowmem as slowmem.
The easy choices there are 1MB chip or 512/512. They didn't configure them for 1MB chip from the factory, probably due to compatibility reasons.

Quote:
- Can an 8371 Agnus be retrofitted to an unmodded Rev 6A board without conflict with the other chips or incompatible with some software? (The Rev7 seems to have done so?)
It is fully compatible. You will be limited to 512k of chip after that.

Quote:
- Did Rev8 have RTC then, and was it the only A500 revision to have it?
As ajk said, if the rev8 board was in a computer with an A-500 badge, no RTC was populated and there is only 512k of RAM. If the board was on an A-500 plus case, the RTC + battery were installed and a full 1MB is on the board.

For the downgraded rev8 A-500, one TTL chip is also missing and some jumpers are in a different order for it to be a 512 mobo/512 trapdoor setup. The jumpers can be adjusted, the missing RAM chips and the TTL chip added for it to become an A500+ with 1MB on the mobo and 1MB possible in the trapdoor. Instructions are pretty easy to find here on support.hardware.

Last edited by Jope; 12 February 2021 at 07:51.

Page generated in 0.04607 seconds with 11 queries