View Single Post
Old 06 February 2021, 17:59   #19
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanScott View Post
So I've been playing around with some ideas over the last day or 2, regarding dual playfield OCS, good use of hardware sprites, and good use of copper to recolour images on a per line basis... this is what I've come up with that I'll try to get working in code next week some time

So let's take a gradient done with the copper...

We can add one hardware sprite and repeat it across the screen with the copper too.... we can also scroll this very easily

Time to add our back playfield with a separate palette per line (not strictly true, not all colours change per line, but you get the idea The less colour changes we have to do, the better. This can scroll at a separate speed to the roof made from the sprite.

Oh.. we can use more hardware sprites here, scrolling at a slower speed than the roof sprite below it for a 3rd layer of parallax

Time to add the floor.. it's the same playfield as above, but separate palette again, and scrolling each line to create the perspective shift effect

Now to add the front playfield with the characters

There's some hardware sprites can be used down there.. let's add that "sign board"... we'll have to shrink it's height though so it doesn't clash with the "house" in the background ( inadvertently probably creating some Japanese swear word in the process )

Now we need the score board.. that can go on the same playfield as the players, but will have to use the same palette. Yes I know it's not Chun-Li and Bison.. just grabbed it from an image I found online

Something's missing.. but we can still use more hardware sprites for this... the shadows

Ok, so the positioning of a couple of elements are not 100% correct, but the general idea and layout and hardware usage definitely fits. Probably could add more hardware sprites at the top for the clouds too
Youve already spent more effort than US Gold did in the brief time you looked at this.

Sadly, consideration for the ST rears its ugly head again with the US Gold version, I wouldnt presume it would have been much better, but not having to cater for the lowest common format certainly might have helped.

Page generated in 0.05253 seconds with 11 queries