View Single Post
Old 31 January 2021, 22:39   #580
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
In defense of Amiga, PCE was a Nippon product to the bone, and at the time* Japanese devs were absolutely killing it when it comes to 2D action games. So it has benefitted from having their uber-talented devs exploiting all its strengths and churning out some amazing titles. Being a console with dedicated custom hardware also did not hurt.

Conversely, Amiga's main market was Europe, and it was a home computer, so not a 100% target audience for arcade gaming. I guess these factors contributed at least in some degree to the fact that so many of our ports were inferior, when given a bit more TLC (aka publisher budgets/dev time) they could've been so much better.

*well, at any time, I suppose

Yes, I know. The whole Japan vs USA vs Europe gaming scenes has been discussed before and I do agree that it counts for the overall quality of the games we got. Even the aforementioned Street Fighter 2 game is a prime example. All the best ports we are all glorifying had direct Capcom assistance and access to the original arcade's dev assets and even source code. I doubt that US Gold developers could brag about that...

But, even so, we can only compare what is, not what could have been. So, again, things are what they are.

Page generated in 0.06001 seconds with 11 queries