View Single Post
Old 26 January 2021, 20:38   #30
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenHD View Post
I am fairly certain ZorRAM is not using Zorro 3 DMA.

In my experience any Zorro-3 added ram is dog slow, and that includes gfx card memory added (eg. with Elbox Mediator or ZorRAM). We tested this extensively on OS4-Classic to try to use it as "main" ram, and it made the system too slow to be useable. So we disabled that feature and ended up using it only as SWAP memory. On OS3 it's not as bad...but OS4 is rather "heavy" so it made a huge impact.

Darren
Elbox Mediator is not 68k DMA, only possibly when communicating between PCI devices.

Regardless of what you have on the Zorro-3 bus, you're looking at something like 12MB/s on a good day, compared to >50MB/s on CSPPC RAM. With OS4, I thought the distinction between DMA and non-DMA RAM was that you could actually use DMA RAM as system RAM, while non-DMA could only be used as swap space.

I thought between the Zorram and the Bigramplus one was DMA and one was not, I thought it was the E3B board as they were the only company which produced a DMA Zorro card since the 90s. Amiga.resource.cx says both of them are.

Page generated in 0.05807 seconds with 11 queries