View Single Post
Old 22 January 2021, 04:07   #100
voyager_1701e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Try it with the A590 set to 0MB. There's only 8MB of Z-II space, so if you need more than that for all your devices, some devices won't be initialised. Well-behaved devices should simply be invisible when that occurs, but some devices do not and cause issues when there's not enough space.
Thanks for the reply. When I initially installed both, the A590 had no RAM onboard, and the A500 didnt start - just a blank screen. The jumper was set to amnesia. Ive since updated the ROM's to v7, i doubt itll make a difference but Ill give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SukkoPera View Post
The AutoConfig implementation used on the board has some limitations, which I tried to summarize here.

Basically IIRC it will always reply to the first AutoConfig request (which could actually be aimed at another board, there's a signal on the bus to select the target board for every request, but this is not available on the CPU slot and the CPLD pins are all already in use anyway, that's why it can only assume the first request it sees is for itself) and assume it will be granted the RAM slot at the beginning of the ZorroII space ($200000).

What this all means that while the 4 MB configuration is supported, having this board co-exist with another one that used AutoConfig is actually unlikely, unless you use the non-AutoConfig firmware as detailed in the first link I posted.

I was expecting someone from the community would fork this board and fix these issues (I'm not proficient enough in HDLs), but it never happened. Everybody was just quick to take it and sell with a huge markup, even well-respected personalities of the scene. There's very little open hardware culture in the Amiga community, I'm afraid.

At least, Matt Harlum has recently come up with his own interpretation of another board from mkl, which is open. I haven't tried it personally but I'm sure it works great, you might want to try that one.
Your details make sense to my limited understanding.

I'm thinking a 4MB board with non-autoconfig firmware may work, so the memory can be allocated above the A590. I've consulted your github page and done a bit of googling, but come up blank on the 4MB firmware without autoconfig. Software/firmware writing is well above my paygrade

I looked at Matt's board. Soldering at that tiny level scares my old eyes now hahaha I may visit that one in the future, as I can be stubborn about trying things I may not be able to do but want!

I haven't been keeping up with your posts of late, I knew you were a bit disheartened by some in the community attitude and stealing/selling designs (I saw a seller selling your RAM board a bit above the odds)....but I am grateful for your contributions

Page generated in 0.04275 seconds with 10 queries