View Single Post
Old 30 December 2020, 21:02   #47
VladR

Quote:
Originally Posted by khph_re View Post
Some 030 stuff already got close to that, so I imagine the 040 would be a lot better. Check out videos of some of the games i mentioned earlier in the thread. Some of the demo coders would be best placed to explain how these features are possible, at speed.
I understand it's possible on 040, I am merely saying it's not easy, as in first version of code you write would run at the desired frame rate.

I wrote plenty of texturing routines on Jaguar that ran at 12 fps as a first version, but gradually, across 3-5 more rewrites, I got to 60 fps.

I guess some people who just saw the last build might be tempted to say - "yeah, it's easy".
But that was not my experience, despite having written the code myself...

Of course, on Amiga, it should not be a huge problem, as it doesn't have an extremely buggy HW decoder pipeline, so any combination of instructions will actually execute correctly 100% of the time (unimaginable concept on Jaguar's RISC GPU/DSP).

Besides, if it was actually "easy", wouldn't there be several dozens of 20 fps textured low poly games already for 25 MHz 040 :-) ?

Page generated in 0.04312 seconds with 11 queries