View Single Post
Old 04 November 2020, 08:18   #78
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverskull View Post
Hi, I have an admittedly stupid question. And I am fearful people will assume I’m trying to throw shade here, which is not at all my intent. But I’m genuinely curious: what is the functional outcome of screen dragging? In other words, what’s the point? Does it do something useful or is it just a neat visual feature?
When you have limited resolution it is quite useful. I often drag screens down on my A1200 so I can see one screen while working on another. Compared to using multiple windows it is faster and cleaner, and since the A1200 is connected to a TV through composite A/V I can't just increase the resolution to get more desktop space (and frankly I don't want to. Old eyes prefer a bigger bolder image!).

On my Vampired A600 I run 1024 x 768 (highest resolution my TV can do in HDMI with 1:1 pixel mapping) so I probably have enough desktop space. However I still run some apps in separate screens because that's what I am used to, and not being able to drag them down like on the A1200 is annoying. So it's one of those features that you probably wouldn't miss if you never had it.

Many PC users today use multiple monitors for a similar purpose, but this requires a fancy graphic card etc. The Amiga's method is much more efficient, which was essential for a low cost machine in the 80's. PC users of the day weren't generally multitasking so they had no use for multiple screens with their own resolutions etc. Now it's different, but the PC world went for higher resolution instead to solve the problem. That is why for all their power, modern PC graphics chips can't do what the Amiga could since 1985!

Page generated in 0.05760 seconds with 11 queries