View Single Post
Old 04 November 2020, 07:43   #77
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC HACKER! View Post
Is some kind of software switch (pass through) going to be added to P96 so that native Amiga modes are passed to a board such as Picasso 4 or whatever board that has a scandoubler?
Sorry, I may be stupid, but I do not understand. P-IV does have a scandoubler, and it is active whenever a native mode is shown. It takes its input, coming from the native Amiga output, and provides a (rescaned, digitized) version of it at the output of the P-IV. This is the pass-through.

You can select via a tool type of the monitor driver whether a particular board has a monitor switch and is in the display chain. I forgot the name of the tool type, but it is in the guide/manual.

If you want a mode-promotion utility to render native screens instead on the P-IV without the "scan doubler" (as said, this is not really a scan doubler, but it serves its purpose), there are plenty on Aminet.

Quote:
So....might be without a pass through. Which means drag CVisionPPC out of Devs:Monitors to Devs: then reset or Drag into Devs:Monitors then reset to use 3D depending on using native modes for games...such as WHDLoad installed. I tried to ModePro (Modes Promotion) but that didn't help.
P-IV does not have a "pass-through" in the classical sense (i.e. it does not have a switch that would simply bypass the signal from the VGA-in to the VGA-out), it has a frame grabber and digitizer sitting at the input. I'm not sure whether that answers the question. Whether WHDLoad uses that correctly I doubt. There is no direct interface for that. To activate the "bypass", you simply need to open a native screen via the operating system.

Quote:
Again, if PicassoIV monitor is in Monitors and CVisionPPC is not in Monitors, then WHDLoad and other games and programs seem to be doing very well and PicassoIV digitizes as it should. Maybe I'm the only user noticing this??
I'm not clear what you are observing, but I wouldn't be surprised if the P-IV screen grabber only takes 15Khz input as it needs to know the frequency of the incoming signal. It is probably not able to digitize any 31kHz mode, but I may be wrong. The simplest solution would be to have the P-IV input directly connected to the native chipset output, and route the output of the P-IV.

The CVisionPPC does not have a monitor pass-through at all. You need an external switch for it. There is a tool type to enable one, but I do not know the brand and where you could get it. If you need a CVIsionPPC and a P-IV in the same system at once, the only option is to have two monitors. Note, however, that such a setup would *not* be able to show native screens. The CVisionPPC driver *has* to promote all native modes to the CVisionPPC, unfortunately. This is simply because the firmware of the card already installs patches into the operating system, and the original entry points into the ROM required to create a native chipset screen are already lost at the time P96 jumps in.

Tecnically, this is not a patch of a library entry point, but it is the "VecTable" in the display info data base for all native screen modes that are patched over by the CVisionPPC. Unfortunately, P96 cannot know where these entries should go into the ROM, the ROM vectors for them are not available anywhere, and thus, any attempt to create a native display on the CVisionPPC will fail. P5 called that a "software scandoubler", but it is actually a ROM-based mode promotion.

Page generated in 0.04667 seconds with 11 queries