View Single Post
Old 14 September 2020, 12:06   #1
TroyWilkins

Cheap mass storage on A500/500+/1000/2000

I apologise if this is in the wrong section.

I was watching a video about a mass storage device for the Apple IIGS which is now available, can use USB flash drives and is relatively inexpensive - the Booti, video linked to below for anyone curious.

It got me thinking. Yes, the 600/1200/3000/4000 and tower versions where applicable all have inbuilt controllers (either IDE or SCSI in the case of the 3000), but what about the 500, 500+ and 2000?

Sure, there are options for adding HDDs or other storage, and using something like Compact Flash or whatever with an adapter, but if you don't already have one of these options, they're a bit expensive.

Surely it would be possible to create an inexpensive device along the lines of the Booti that connects via the Zorro or Zorro II expansion bus - I know the Zorro and Zorro II buses are very much alike and a simple adapter can be used to make Zorro II devices work with a 500/500+/1000. Given anything with a Zorro 3 expansion bus will have IDE or SCSI, it seems to me it would only need to be Zorro/Zorro II.

Video I mentioned about the Booti: [ Show youtube player ]

Page generated in 0.04416 seconds with 11 queries