View Single Post
Old 01 July 2020, 18:02   #1
Pheonix

Bootstrapping an A2000?

From what I understand, the bootstrap of the A1000 was 256K of RAM & 64K ROM that would load the Kickstart from disk into the RAM, then boot into the loaded Kickstart. This seems handy for handling my multi-boot A2000. Keep the main Kickstart in one socket, then have the other socked attached to a bootstrap (so I can decide on 1.1, 1.2, or 1.3 depending on what I'm wanting to do.) Want to play Archon (for example,) just insert the KS1.1 or KS1.2 disk, hold down reset for 2 seconds (switches the ROM selector, gives me a tone when it triggers,) and then wait to swap in the Archon disk (which only runs on 1.1 or 1.2.)

So, has anyone, at any time, designed such an adapter for the A2000 (and A500, I guess,) ROM socket? Is it even possible? If push comes to shove, I'll just keep doing what I'm doing, and put in a degrader boot disk, then swap when needed. Pretty much the same thing, except it's loading more from the disk (full boot to startup-sequence, then running the degrader, finally loading the Kickstart and rebooting again.)

Page generated in 0.04458 seconds with 11 queries