View Single Post
Old 07 May 2020, 10:30   #102
jPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
Software? Which software? Os 4 does not have a large software basis.
Mainly the operating system and drivers of all kinds. OS3 was completely stuck after version 3.9, and mostly still is in the bigger scale despite some improvements lately.

And the lack of raw performance also limited possibility to write certain kind of software by anyone.. for example media players, heavier image processing, and games too.

Quote:
I do not understand. How do you like to use your computer? Look at the workbench twice a day? I am sorry, but without a large software basis, I do not quite see the point in using a computer.
I continued using the same software base I had been using on my expanded RTG/AHI equipped classic Amiga. I just copied my software library from it to my first NG machine (Pegasos 1) and continued using them on much more speedy and stable machine. And then more and more MorphOS native software appeared to complement it. And it also became much more useful due the hardware and drivers the new OS provided.

Quote:
Which compatibility? Can I run 68K software? Oh, in emulation, sure, but the PC can do that either, just faster, and a lot cheaper.
You're this loud without knowing how 68k software works under MorphOS and OS4? These NG operating systems emulate only the CPU, but they're otherwise compatible with OS3. You don't have to run a separate emulator which would sandbox the classic programs from the rest of the system like on PC. It's a totally different level of emulation and compatibility.

You can't see difference if you're running a PPC native or 68k program under these systems. They all look like native programs and operate in the same environment. 68k programs use the same API, libraries, etc as the PPC programs too, and they get advantage of the faster and updated system components. ARexx etc work between 68k and PPC programs and so on. You get new features to old 68k programs when, for example, MUI gets new features (no need to tell about the recent shaky MUI ports to 68k).

You can even use 68k libraries, devices, shell commands, datatypes, and other system components under the NG OS if it's missing a native version. So, actually the software base is larger on NG in this regard, because it can use both 68k and native ones.

Quote:
I wouldn't know that 3.1.4 was an unreliable patch job.
It still brings improvements to very narrow areas, and won't make people stop using all the hacks and patches they have in use on their systems.

Quote:
Do "which things"? The things I do can be done on the PC, faster, better, cheaper. I mean productive work. Not retro-computing. That is what the 68K line is about.
Yes, I also use real classic Amigas for retro-computing, but I still prefer NG machines for enjoying my daily computing. It's fast enough for me and no difference in price (you can find MorphOS machines for almost no cost too, I have dozen of them for different purposes or got "just in case" when came across).

Quote:
Why would it need to? If I would need a modern Os, it would surely not be anything Amiga-like. Not even remotely. There are too many constructional errors in it to allow future expansion. Single-processing, no memory protection, no resource management, nothing that makes this thing even remotely interesting from an Os point of view. Neither NG nor 68K, but 68K is at least an interersting historic artefact with a huge software basis. NG is neither modern, nor useful, nor historic. So what is it good for? I do simply not understand the point.
That's your opinion and I've tried to explain my point, but what can you do...

Quote:
Yes, appreciated that lots of work hours went into this, of course. But what for?
For the people like me.

Quote:
I couldn't care less about Morphos either. Same problem. It has no historical value, and neither a practical value.
There's practical value for people like me, like I've tried to explain. And of course some historical value too, because I still use some old 68k software I like on it.

Page generated in 0.04849 seconds with 11 queries