View Single Post
Old 12 April 2020, 16:00   #1
johnnybarker

A4000 Mediator in Ateo Tower

Pretty unusual time at work but I have been given a week of respite for the Easter holidays so, as some light relief, I thought I would take the time to fit a mediator board to my a4000. I decided to share it in the hope someone would find it interesting. I bought the a4000 a year or so ago and it had already been converted from a desktop model into an Ateo concepts tower.
The reason for installing the mediator was to fit an Apocalypse PPC card and so I could move the ZZ9000 to my a2000. I was keen on fitting the larger mediator (D, not Di) as I didn’t want to lose any Zorro slots or the video slot in case my plans changed again. It also provides more PCI slots than the desktop version which is handy when fitting the Apocalypse card.
The Ateo case is a very odd design as the case stands over 2 feet tall yet for some reason the motherboard has been confined to one small corner like a petulant child. I was not sure if the mediator board would fit and I couldn’t find any measurements on the internet. I decided to just to buy it and see where it left me. If necessary, I thought I could cut a slot in the bottom of the case and fit an American muscle car style power bulge and raise the feet up on stilts. I don’t feel bad about hacking up my case as it was not an original Commodore product and is already a total hack.

Picture 1 -A case like this makes up for my anatomical deficiencies

Picture 2- Original Zorro card layout

Picture 3 -Another view of the original layout of the Zorro cards

Picture 4 -This is the hole before I started interfering with it. You can see how little space there is at the bottom.

I made the new support cage for the PCI slots out of metal I salvaged from a fire damaged treadmill.

I cut the box section lengthways to make angle pieces and stuck them together with the welder.

Picture 5 and 6- I ran out of Argon near the end which is my excuse for at least some of the dodgy welding.

Picture 7- I then used the grinder to cut out sections for the PCI cards to stay in place. Everyone likes a bit of grinding.

Picture- 8 At this point I got distracted when I decided to make a grappling hook.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	66795   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	66796   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 3.jpg
Views:	425