Thread: Scorpion Engine
View Single Post
Old 07 April 2020, 13:28   #311
earok

I was trying to do more frequent updates/releases, instead I've spent a fair bit of time fixing some longstanding structural issues with animated tiles, respawning enemies and such. So not a lot tangible to show right now, but the engine is becoming a little more stable.

One problem I've had right from the start of the project is, because the Engine is BlitzBasic and the Editor is C#, there wasn't any shared code between them.

This has been particularly problematic because, for example, if I wanted to add another line of data to the game actors, I'd need to duplicate effort to update both data models xactly the same, despite being in wholly unrelated languages. If I didn't remember, or if I made a mistake, it could be a pain to debug.

So, as part of my build process, I've made a little utility for converting some Blitz into C#. Just the data structures to begin with - to make it easy to load and save the same data in both projects without needing to double up any effort.

Could this process also be used to convert more Blitz Basic to C#, and be used by a Unity or Monogame project? Maybe but that won't be any time soon.

Page generated in 0.07240 seconds with 11 queries