View Single Post
Old 02 April 2020, 17:22   #63
Olaf Barthel

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigang View Post
firstly great work guys keeping the OS updated.

my only issue would be the version name.

I know AmigaOS is a bit of mess as I gather OS 3.5 / 3.9 source code was never shared and it contained a number of third party add-ons that not owned by Haage & Partner or Amiga inc.
You are not wrong, but the full picture is more nuanced. AmigaOS 3.5/3.9 did consist of major operating system changes in components and application software, with every contributor putting something into the pot.

The AmigaOS4 project was lucky enough to license or acquire components which were used in 3.5/3.9, and those which were unavailable were subsequently recreated from scratch over the years.

Where licensing and ownership allowed it, we have been permitted to reuse such AmigaOS4 components as could be adapted for AmigaOS 3.1.x and 3.2.

Quote:
AmigaOS 3.1.4 is more advance than AmigaOS 3.9 correct?
I would not want to claim that. The whole idea of making AmigaOS 3.1.4 came out of the realization that there was no straightforward path to make a new AmigaOS 68k operating system that could continue along the same lines as AmigaOS 3.9. There would have to be a different path, starting with AmigaOS 3.1 and building up from there. This would involve upgrading the existing components to become more robust first, integrating AmigaOS 3.5/3.9 functionality as such was available and maybe adapting AmigaOS 4.x code if this was an option. That was the "pipe dream" which surprisingly, came to happen.

Our project development in about parallels the development of AmigaOS 3.5/3.9 to some degree, but it deviates from it to a large degree as well. There are features which do not compare well with what AmigaOS 3.5/3.9 offered. But there are also features in AmigaOS 3.1.x and 3.2 which were absent from AmigaOS 3.5/3.9 and arguably could not have been part of these. There is overlap, of course, but how do you judge what is better or more advanced? It's hard to pick criteria and get a general sense of what was achieved or more successful.

Quote:
I would called it AmigaOS 3.10 or now AmigaOS 3.11 as it does confuse me a least.
It is confusing, has to be confusing because the respective projects moved into very different directions.

Last edited by Olaf Barthel; 02 April 2020 at 18:01.

Page generated in 0.07082 seconds with 11 queries