View Single Post
Old 02 April 2020, 17:07   #62
Olaf Barthel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipper View Post
My personal wish is: better (remote) debugging facilities provided by the operating system. Bebbo implemented a GDBserver that works, but is rather limited. It would be great if exec could provide hooks and other debugging facilities (potentially utilizing the MMU) that make implementing a debugger much easier. Alternatively, the OS could come with a full gdbserver...
The gdbserver command is helpful indeed, since we seem to lack just about any slightly sophisticated interactive debugger which would complement the 'C' compilers available today.

We are currently working on an NDK for AmigaOS 3.2 and part of the job is figuring out which Amiga development environments exists, native and cross-development included, and whether we can provide a set of header files which would make them more robust and powerful. From what I learned, the commonly-used header files for GCC tend to be about 20 years old and they don't all work well.

Native development is very important. If you cannot even do that, and also use an interactive debugger which accelerates the debugging process, it gives the impression that the Amiga platform is just not up to the task. We've had interactive source level debuggers since 1988, if I remember correctly. If you're forced to go back to the old and tried method sprinkling your source code with printf() calls, you're regressing to a state which should have been left behind for more than 30 years.

We need a new Amiga-native source level debugger, possibly need it more than improved remote debugging tools.

Last edited by Olaf Barthel; 02 April 2020 at 17:59.

Page generated in 0.04250 seconds with 11 queries