View Single Post
Old 31 March 2020, 21:50   #30
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Sounds good!

Fair enough. To be fair, I really think there is no problem holding on to different paradigms if they're sensible and well established. After all, if we wanted everything the same as a modern system we'd be running Windows or Linux instead. For example, hidden application menus behind the right button is totally alien these days, but use an Amiga for 5 minutes and it quickly becomes second nature. But I think that those key shortcuts were (and still are in most parts of the OS) a nice, more flexible and more intuitive substitute for the keys missing on the standard Amiga keyboard, i.e. home, end, page up and page down. I still miss that flexibility all the time when using other systems, and would likely choose another editor for. Given that it's still there in the code, and that the Amiga keyboard layout lacks the buttons to roughly approximate the modern functional equivalent as it is implemented under Windows and Linux, if it was something that could be turned on in the GUI prefs for example, that would be good.
I better clarify that there are still modifiers for going to the end etc, they have just been changed so shift is for selection, alt is for smaller logical moves (words or page up/dnt )and ctrl is for extreme (end of line, end of document).

That does give me a headache for how to activate rectangular selections when I implement that because alt is the de facto standard for that and as you can see that is already used. Oh well it is the lesser used thing to do in a texteditor, so I will have to come up with something else.

Page generated in 0.04191 seconds with 11 queries