View Single Post
Old 07 February 2020, 15:44   #440
VladR

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
As you know, I've been dissecting Virtua Racing :-)
http://www.exretro.com/galleries/seg...ing/index.html

If you look at the game closely you'll notice that Virtua Racing actually has couple times more geometry visible and that makes sense since the Model1 hardware is 3x times as capable as System 21 (~180,000 vs 60,000 polys/s)
Interesting. I only had a quick look on YT, but got an impression of more complex scene. Did you perhaps run it in MAME or something ? Would be great to see how they achieved the effect. Perhaps it's just the fog in itself that helps with the effect ?

Quote:
Nevertheless, WinningRun (there's a Winning Run 91 too) does have some interesting complexity not seen in any Amiga polygon game but if you want some sort of reference, there's youtube clips of ppl playing Geoff Crammonds F1 on 060.
For example here: (quality isnt the best but I guess its filmed of an actual screen as opposed to being capturen in Windows on WinUAE)
[ Show youtube player ]
Yeah, I definitely prefer seeing how it runs for real, captured like this, instead of video out capture where you have no idea what it's actually being captured.
Is it really just 16fps as he says ? It sure seems pretty smooth for 16 fps - though most of the time the speed is low in Monaco curves, so it might be right.

Quote:
Anyway, to get back to the topic. WinningRun is a tough cookie to "port". It would be more like a complete rewrite and getting it to run on Vanilla Amigas would require some serious downgrading... Would be like the Super monaco GP port on the SEGA Master System :-) (Whyyyy did they bother, seriously)

We should be able to test this racing scene complexity soon. Spent last week with rewriting the clipping, and finally fixed all glitches today...

Page generated in 0.04479 seconds with 10 queries