Thread: Cdxl vs yafa
View Single Post
Old 21 January 2020, 23:33   #7
Cobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow View Post
The 128k limit for samples is a Paula hardware limit. CDXL streams audio interleaved with the data stream leaving two voices unused. I'm not as familiar with YAFA but I know there is a codec for YAFA on Hollywood making it the preferred format for cross-platform development.
yup, I read its actually Paula's limit. I guess that holywood codec overcomes this obstacle in one or another way. Would be interesting to read how they did it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen M View Post
It might be worth having a chat with Earok who ported Time Gal and Road Avenger both of which stream the video and audio from disc I think using CDXL.
He didn't use cdxl, he used his own method. I was expecting him to pop up already

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen M View Post
I suppose what I was getting at was that on the discussion about AGA Blaster most people reported 17ish fps on their TF330 streaming from CF card but I am getting a perfectly stable 24fps which I can only put down to the very fast CF card that sits just under 6mb/s. Again a null point in this discussion but I just thought I'd mention it.
Those are 320x200 vids?

Amigajay has all valid points.
But yafa proves that with delta compression videos can be 20ish% larger/better on the same bandwidth. Though I kinda have a feeling that in yafa case cpu waits disk dma to be finished...

And I also don't have clear picture how cpu and chipset share chipmem. I read that cpu use even cycles and chipset odd so that cpu could work in parallel. But someone more knowledgeable would be nice to write how exactly this works and am I pursuing something that's not possible or is it possible to have full disk dma stream non stop and cpu decompressing in the same time?

Also I'd be interested to hear from someone which xpk sublibrary has fastest decompresion on 020.

Page generated in 0.06950 seconds with 11 queries