View Single Post
Old 07 December 2019, 02:08   #31
invent
pixels

Just a quick note: Richard's game engine is shaping up very nicely to be stunning, I am biased of course

Graphics: It is early days and the focus is the engine right now.

@DamienD In regards to "ProXima 3 - Red Dwarf Star" Sandruzzo felt Shootemup's like this was too big a project for him and so it stopped, a great shame, but I hope he will reply if my statement is incorrect. He is a very talented coder and it's a shame this happened, alot of time passed since then and I didn't want to waste the graphics and so using these in Reshoot Proxima III made the most sense.

Richard is absolutely correct in yes they are static images but based on some suggestions of what's possible (4 colour back, 4 mid and 16 colour foreground with hardware player sprite), we did get a scrolling engine BUT we never got to building a stress test of the engine, that is multiple enemies/explosions/bullets on screen, I suggested for quite some months to scroll/move around basic blocks to see what's possible, but sadly it didn't happen because this would of influenced how the game may of eventually looked. I didn't want the game to be jerky scrolling like Xenon II for example. Strategically I did plan for this though, the game would of stopped scrolling at the mid level alien stage (half way in the level and possibly at multiple points), have a bigger eg 128x128 size enemy moving fast and freely on screen. Did also have other ideas to turn off parallax effects for slower machines or possibly having a combined tileset such as what you see in games like Hybris/Battle Squadron. These ideas of course take a ton of time to implement all the variations which was why I was keen on stress testing the engine.

@DamienD I have to correct you though, Sandruzzo didn’t ever get dumped, he just lost interest and wanted to work on quicker projects, infact we had started a few that no-one really knows about (which reminds me I hope someone chases up his most recent project as I believe the graphic talent has stopped working on the project, not sure)

Richard and I are super excited about Reshoot Proxima III this is our 3 game in recent years, and we love creating games on the Amiga.

Last edited by invent; 07 December 2019 at 02:14. Reason: Adding more details :)

Page generated in 0.07380 seconds with 11 queries