View Single Post
Old 31 August 2019, 16:42   #38
RDP

My (better later than never) update:

Over a period of around two months Kinmami and I discussed him taking a look at my system. Before our meeting he had me do some shopping for the items that would be required for the resurrection. Based on photos of the motherboard we exchanged (the same photos that are on this thread), it was decided that he would recap the machine, and then give his opinion then on what might be further required.

It took me longer than expected to get everything ready, but just in time on the agreed upon day we met and I took him to my place to examine the system. He didn't even bother to turn it on (I guess an Amiga is an Amiga!), and just went straight to work recapping and cleaning (you can read his comments two messages back for the details), but I can tell you right now, this is a focused man; once he sat down he didn't even move until the job was done. He is incredibly dedicated to quality work, and absolutely impressed me with his talent. He further went on to order a 500w powersupply to be delivered the next day, took my old powersupply and cage (the one that was boiling acid, really about to start smoking at any moment!) home with the newly obtained fan (Noctua NF-R8 Redux 1800) I had previously bought for it, and the very next day had built that as well! A 500w in my original cage, with original wiring, very nice indeed (he did the -5V DC mod as well). Amazing!

Once I picked up the powersupply from him it was on to testing the machine, which initially didn't not want to boot. In an attempt to attend to the basics I decided to re-seat my Rom Tower. Bad decision, as when I extracted it I bent some of the legs on it, and when trying to straighten then broke one off. Is this a problem? Not for Mr. Kinmami, within a day of me delivering it to him he had addressed the problem, and every leg on the tower had been made as straight as possible.

However, back home with the tower back in place the system was still not starting up. Mostly just a pure black screen, no LED activity, occasional (but rare) red or yellow screens (as I would be prodding and pushing things to ensure proper seating), and other times cycling LED flashes; something was wrong. After some head scratching, and mostly just to say we tried it, I moved back J350 to the position it was before changing to the ATX style powersupply. Everything worked from then onwards. I can only guess that for some unknown reason the system was already obtaining tick clock from the board, and not the power supply, so when the jumper was switched to prepare to receive the ATX style power supply, it was set to obtain to source from the power supply, which prevented the boot.

With that all done now I am in the process of cleaning up the case and the keyboard, and thinking about adding a 68060@80 into my Warpengine. The addiction returns.... *sigh*

In summary, Kinmami is a genius (well, to me at least!), and on top of that, a gentleman. I would recommend that anyone trust him with their equipment, and take any comments, notes, or other wisdom on the topic of electronics he might impart, to heart.

thanks all,
RDP

Note to userid: whaka - Yes, that exact fan! I picked that recommendation up off another thread, it might have been your recommendation!

Page generated in 0.04480 seconds with 11 queries