View Single Post
Old 03 July 2019, 00:47   #165
ferrellsl
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ferrellsl Send a message via Yahoo to ferrellsl
Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
The base A1200 was not meant to compete with a 486@50MHz, though. Consequently it was priced way lower than those machines. That said, accelerators were pricey indeed and changing graphics was not a real option. IMHO it's give and take. The A1200 was designed as a budget machine and meant to compete with the cheaper 386's of the time. It did that pretty well all things considered.

On the topic of Quake 2, that was released five years after the A1200 was launched. Frankly I think it's more than a bit odd to expect 1992 hardware to run that game well even when expanded. No PC from 1992 did that, not even the really expensive ones.

Now... Doom, yeah - you'd have a point. No chunky mode was a massive oversight.
My A1200 wasn't a base system and it was purchased in 1994. Had you read my post you would have seen that I had added an 68030-50Mhz accelerator in addition to a hard drive at enormous cost. This was in addition to what I paid for the base system, and even then it couldn't match a stock 486-33Mhz with an OpenGL capable graphics card. I paid less for my PC and it came with a hard drive, 2MB of RAM and an OpenGL graphics card and a 486-66Mhz CPU that ran circles around my 030. In the seven or eight years that Amigas were produced, nothing really changed and by the time Commodore listened to its customers it was too late. Even the A3000/A4000 were seriously handicapped by their hardware and OS by the time they were released and they were designed to compete with PC's. By then, PC's could already run circles around ANY Amiga. It's no wonder Commodore went out of business. You can't pay the bills or make a profit selling inferior goods.

Page generated in 0.04353 seconds with 11 queries